Sunday 9 September 2007

Hello and welcome!


I have been meaning to start a black retriever x blog for some time - and here it finally is! The idea is to give some insight into what goes on behind the scenes of running a rescue - particularly the trials and tribulations of finding the right homes for our dogs.

This week, we finally found the right home for lovely Dewey (above), who arrived with us from Ireland about a month ago.

We thought we'd found the perfect family for him a couple of weeks ago - an experienced couple with grown-up children who lived just yards from the sea, with someone at home all day and a good-sized garden. But it turned out that, when in the house, Dewey would be restricted to a fairly small kitchen.


I managed to convince myself that this was OK (Dewey lived outside in Ireland) and so I left him there on trial. But I returned home and had a horrible night worrying about him.
Dewey is such a cuddly, lovable boy and I just couldn't bear the thought of the family sitting watching telly in the sitting room in the evening while he was shut in the kitchen on his own. So the next day I went and retrieved him. Did I do the right thing...? I think so - but I'd be interested to hear what others think. We've now found Dewey an idyllic home for him in Oxfordshire with Mark and Barbara, a couple whose dogs are very much part of the fabric of their house (even if he doesn't have quite the same sofa privileges as he enjoyed here!). He also has Amber, a gorgeous three-year-old wolfhound x girl for company...

Here they are getting to know each other. When I called on Friday, Dewey sounded like he was having a lovely time and was really settled (or perhaps that was just exhausted from playing with Amber for hours...!).

4 comments:

pam forrest said...

Looks like you did absolutely the right thing for Dewey. He looks very happy & ready for play in his new home. Hard to believe that the other person thought it would be ok to shut him in the kitchen all the time which would have been like being back in a kennel! Pam

Anonymous said...

yes you did do the right thing in returning to retrieve him (excuse the pun). No dog should be excluded except for certain circumstances (visitors being afraid etc or for their own good) but other than that I think they are part of the family and you wouldn't expect a child to stay in a room whilst everyone else is busy or relaxing. So well done you and he certainly looks happy now. Well Done

Anonymous said...

Hi Jemima, I believe you did the right thing. Anyone who wants a dog should have them as part of their family. I have 2 dogs, 1 would live in your ear while the other 1 won't come pass the kitchen. It breaks my heart to see her like that but I've tried everything to bring her further into the house but she won't and I've accepted that when she's ready, she'll come in as far as she wants.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely correct thing to do...being confined overnight is one thing if necessary....but not having your dog lying on your feet whilst watching TV ? What do you have a dog for ?